Monday 28 April 2008

Vietnamese Crab Noodle Salad

Mmmm... I made this salad last week when I was ill with the cold - I figured I needed something with pretty strong flavours just so I could taste it! And it definitely hit the spot!!

I'm back at work now - feeling loads better. Luckily the cold didn't impact my appetite at all - even though I had days when I couldn't taste anything at all... Y'know - it's really hard to cook when you can't taste or smell!! I made a curry for my mum and dad on Thursday. I was using some new dried habenero chillies - and was really disappointed by how bland they were. Until my mum tried it... after the 2nd glass of water it became apparent that they weren't so bland after all!

But despite the cold and lack of taste, in the end I did manage to do some cooking - I just wasn't up to posting! And not being able to leave the house too much definitely helped me stick to my store cupboard challenge!

I'm sending this over to Ruth at Once Upon A Feast for Presto Pasta Night. I'm so glad you're feeling better now Ruth!

Vietnamese Crab Noodle Salad

Per person, multiply at will!

For the salad:
  • rice vermicelli noodles, soaked according to packet, rinsed in cold water
  • 1 scallion, shredded
  • 1/2 medium carrot, grated
  • 5 radishes, grated
  • 1/4 cucumber, seeds removed, and chopped into chunks
  • white crab meat (mine was from a tin!)

For the dressing:
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • Juice of half a lime
  • 1 Thai red chilli, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1" piece ginger, finely grated
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar (optional!)
Garnish:
  • handful of raw peanuts, roasted and roughly chopped
  • rough chopped cilantro

To make the dressing...
Put all the ingredients in a bowl, and mix until the sugar is dissolved

Put the salad together...
Pour half of the dressing over the drained noodles and mix well. Mix the salad veg together with the remaining dressing.
Put the noodles in the serving bowl and top with the veg, then the white crab meat.

Top with the peanuts and cilantro... and enjoy!

Related Posts



9 comments:

Frantic Home Cook said...

Yummmm. Going on my menu this week. (Even if the name does remind me of a disease you get if you're not careful...."I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news...you've got Vietnamese Crab Noodles.")

Peter M said...

Welcome back K-k-k-k-k-Kittie! The blog's new look is good, just some adjustments but great, bravo.

I love these Asian dressings...spruce up a boring salad I say!

javagirlkt's cookin' said...

This looks really delicious! And I'm glad your cold is gone :)

Laura Paterson said...

francie - I'm horrified! I might need to change the title now!! lol ;)

Thanks Ben, me too!

Peter - a salad isn't a salad until it's been drenched in (usually unhealthy!) tastiness ;)

javagirlkt - it really was... will need to try again now I'm healthy !

giz said...

Ooooh yaaaa - totally up my alley -I'm saying this right after finishing a bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup.

Ruth Daniels said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better and thanks so much for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights.

It looks like a pretty amazing dish.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great recipe, and one that I definitely will be trying.

michelle @ thursday night smackdown said...

this is going to make a great warm-weather dinner - i love the flavors.

you can't go wrong with crab!

mimi said...

salad looks very yummy, definitely want to try it out. and love the name of your blog!!