Wednesday 30 April 2008

Spicy Crunchy Chana Dal

I went to my local Asian food store a couple of days ago to satiate an urge for some spicy bombay mix. But, for the first time ever... there was none! I walked down to the next store... and again, disappointment. What was I to do - I was starving hungry and my curry wasn't going to be ready for another hour...

I returned to the first store in the hope that my eyes had deceived me, and whilst I didn't find bombay mix, I did find a large bag of fried spiced chana dahl. The lovely gent at the counter asked me if I planned on eating them (confused? What else??!) When I confirmed I was indeed planning on munching my way through the lentilly goodness he warned me they may be rather dry and offered me this recipe instead.

I have made a couple of alterations - using lime instead of lemon (it's what I had in!) and adding some chilli (I was still suffering from underactive taste buds at this point).

I'm so glad they were out of bombay mix!

Spicy Crunchy Chana Dahl


  • 1.5 cups fried chana dhal (I'm going to try making this myself soon - watch this space for a recipe!)
  • 2 red chillis (or to taste)
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 clove of garlic
  • A little bit of grated ginger
  • Teeny bit of oil
  • 1 lime

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chilli, garlic, and ginger and fry until soft.

Add the red onion and dhal and fry for a minute or so - keep it moving - you're basically just heating it up right now :)

Serve with the lime on the side, to be squeezed over to taste!

Related Posts



1 comments:

Maggie said...

Yum! I love bombay mix and I'm sure I have everything for your recipe in the house right now. I love finding new recipes that I don't have to run out to the store to make.

And thanks for the heads up on my Left Over Queen profile.