Friday 13 June 2008

NCR: Bright & Beautiful Bean Salad with Capers & Oregano

Well, this is a first for me - sat in on a Friday night writing my blog! I never thought I'd see the day... But I've made it to the end of my first week at new work - and it's been a good one. Going to catch up on some of my reading tomorrow - I've been missing my daily blog-fix!

Anyway, I'm going to keep this entry short and sweet - it's 9pm and I'm far from ready to go out.

This is my month's entry to No Croutons Required. It was perfect timing for tonight really - healthy, tangy salad, with a hint of heat... ideal to prepare the body and soul for a good night out!

Bean Salad with Capers & Oregano


  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped into large chunks
  • 100g dwarf beans, lightly steamed, refreshed in ice water and chopped into bitesize chunks
  • 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, fine chopped
  • 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano - plus extra to garnish
  • half a cup of vegetable bouillion
  • olive oil to fry

Prepare the Kidney Beans...
Heat a glug of olive oil to a medium heat - then fry the garlic for a minute. Toss in the kidney beans and half of the chili. Fry for a minute, keeping it moving, then add half a cup of vegetable bouillion. I like my beans quite soft - so I allow this to boil away for a few minutes - alternatively leave it to sit to absorb the flavours for a bit.

Make the Dressing...
Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil and the lemon juice, and mix in the capers and chopped oregano. Season to taste.

Put the salad together!
Mix together the tomatoes, remaining chili and dwarf beans. Strain off the remaining bouillion from the kidney beans and add them to the mix. Pour over the dressing and mix well.

Give it 10 minutes to let the flavours get to know each other. This will equalise the heat from the kidney beans and the cold items - best served at room temperature I reckon!

Enjoy!

Related Posts



11 comments:

Peter M said...

Kittie, I bet this would be even better the next day! It's colourful, easy and so summer.

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for this entry Kittie. This colourful salad would be just perfect on a hot summer day.

giz said...

Love it - it's screaming out to be eaten.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am glad your new job is going well. How about the house move?

Your salad is a feast for the eyes with all those beautiful colours. I love how you always through such gorgeous food together, even though you are in a rush. You put me to shame lol!

Anonymous said...

This looks great, I love how vibrant the colors look! I would probably not have thought of using the kidney beans here, but they look great and I bet they work well too.

Laura Paterson said...

peter - I'll make double quantities next time!!

lisa - thanks, I think it may become a summer regular :)

giz - and it was (it was so filling too!!)

The house move has stalled a little for now Holler - so much work to be done... so little time right now :( Going to get back cracking on it next week!!

fearless - I originally was going to use cannelli beans - but in the end I was really glad the store was out of them!

Núria said...

Mmmmmm a fresh salad! Perfect for summer days :D.

You've been tagged darling... please follow the link http://recipespicbypic.blogspot.com/2008/06/salmon-in-aromatic-pickle-and-meme.html

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great summer dish. I like the colors so amazing looking!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Bean salad is one of my favourite picnic foods..or anytime foods for that matter Kittie:D I like your take on it:D

Ivy said...

I saw your recipe from the round up. Some of my favourite ingredients in it. Sounds delicious.

Zenzi said...

it's a hot summer day where i am, i whipped this up in about 15 min and served it over saffron rice. YUM!! the chili adds a real loveliness. thanks for the healthy, lish recipe!!