Wednesday 27 February 2008

My third meme - and a note on my week...

I haven't cooked for a whole week. Apart from breakfast, and ramen noodles - and I don't think that counts... I've missed two deadline for events I wanted to participate in - and am even going to struggle to make a dish for Presto Pasta Night (although I am determined to get into the kitchen tonight...)

This hasn't been an easy week for me - Boyfriend and I have split up - it's such a horrible time... I think that is all I can say about that.

I wanted a blog entry - but had no dishes to discuss, so I decided to take this chance to do the meme I was tagged for last week by Val from More Than Burnt Toast. I only recently came across Val's blog (isn't it amazing the variety of blogs you can find, just by clicking through from one to the next!) and I'm very glad I did. She has an amazing variety of recipes - from pasta to moussaka, falafel to pikelets! And she loves cookery course - just like me!


What were you doing 10 years ago?1998?

I was in my 2nd year at university in Glasgow, studying English Literature and Social And Economic History I was looking after my then boyfriend, who was pretty sick. I was also preparing for the World Cup - it was the last time Scotland qualified. I don't even like football that much - but the atmosphere was amazing. We didn't survive the first round though...

What were you doing 1 year ago?

I was in the middle of negotiating to a new position with my company (which I am now in!) Still living in the same place. From looking back at my calendar, it looks like I was going to lots of parties too!

Five snacks you enjoy

Argh, this is a tough one - I love savoury snacks!!! I'm not a huge fan of chocolate - I like it well enough, but a whole bar is often too much for me...
  1. salty, buttery popcorn... drool....
  2. I don't know if these count as snacks, but I love sushi, tapas, Indian snacks (like these pakora), dolmades and other such finger food!
  3. Dried mango slices
  4. triscuits - though I can't get them in the UK... :( (and any other crunchy, salty snack - i.e. pretzels, baked bagel bites...)
  5. Swizzels double lollies (apparently my mum used to be addicted to these when she was pregnant with me!)

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire

Oh, I love this game! (Though a multi-millionaire I hope!)
  1. Quit my job and pay off my mortgage! (And/Or buy a house with a huge kitchen and garden!)
  2. Help the people I love: pay off the mortgages of my parents and sister - and take us a on huge family holiday; sort my best friends out to make they're lives more comfortable - or to help them achieve their dreams.
  3. Travel the world - trying all the food I could manage, attending any classes I came across, and learning lots of new things!
  4. Throw a huge, lavish party for all my friends :)
  5. Retrain in a career that I truly want to do (Almost definitely in the food industry)

Five bad habits
  1. Blogging when I should be doing other things - or spending too much of the day deciding what I'm going to cook that night!
  2. I'm rubbish at keeping in touch with old friends - I'm seem to get caught up in the moment - and all of a sudden weeks have gone by without contact :(
  3. Messiness - my whole house is a state - it drives me mad, because I actually hate living like that... but can't seem to keep myself organised.
  4. Pressing the snooze button on my alarm clock! I end up snoozing for 45 minutes - and it isn't even proper sleep!!
  5. Putting off things that I don't want to do (i.e. getting up - or tidying the house!)

Five things you like doing

Cooking! Blogging about Cooking! Reading about cooking! You get the idea?
Ok then - other things ;)
  1. Seeing my girlfriends - drinking wine, and having silly conversations. And they are always there when I need them :)
  2. Shopping - especially for shoes!
  3. Clubbing
  4. Relaxing in my house with some rubbish on the TV, surfing the net, or reading!
  5. Eating!

Five things you would never wear again

I would usually never say never.. but I would definitely never wear an Eightiesque shell suit again!


Five favorite toys
  1. My mobile phone - it has a cute camera for taking silly pics when I don't want to use my 'proper' camera!
  2. My camera
  3. My pasta machine - I haven't used it that much - but I find pasta making is such a relaxing thing to do :)
  4. My laptop
  5. My GHD straighteners!

Here are the rules:
  • Select five people to tag.
  • Next, send them an e-mail or let them know by commenting on their blog that they have been tagged.
  • They are then encouraged to select 5 different bloggers and to tag them.
And now who to tag??

I think I'll start with Bryce at Chilefire - who always hits the spot with his fiery recipes!
Secondly Holler from Tinned Tomatoes - a vegetarian blogger from my home country :D
And finally Chew on That - the first blog I ever subscribed to!

I promise my next post will be a recipe :)

Related Posts



5 comments:

lcsa99@yahoo.com said...

I am sorry about the bf :(

But I agree completely with the pasta making thing. Like making bread, the whole process of mixing the dough and running it through the machine is incredibly soothing. I actually caught myself humming when I was making pasta last weekend :)

Plan to attempt your garlic pasta recipe next month :)

Jen said...

I'm sorry you've been having a bad week- I know how you feel about not getting in kitchen- I can't remember the last time I actually cooked a real dinner... This isn't quite a comment on your post but- I was wondering how you could that cool label cloud instead of the list?

Jen
____________________
realgoodtaste.blogspot.com

Laura Paterson said...

Aleja - good luck with the garlic pasta! I really enjoyed making the olive and chili one I made last night - but the garlic definitely had the edge flavour-wise!

Jen, I used the article here: http://phy3blog.googlepages.com/Beta-Blogger-Label-Cloud.html to add a label cloud!

Jen said...

Thank you for sending that link... it was my first experience actually doing some editing of the html code and while it took me rather longer than I would like to admit- the final result looks great- Thanks again.

Jen
___________________
realgoodtaste.blogspot.com

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Thank you so much for completing the MEME. It is always so nice to know a little more about the people behind the blogs that we visit every day. You're a sweetie for completing it :D