Tuesday 29 January 2008

My Ultimate Chili Con Carne!

This is one of the dishes of my life!

I remember when I was young I used to be excited when my mum was away for the night - because it would mean that Dad would cook his Chili Con Carne for me and my sister. Mum wasn't a fan, so this was a rare treat! Fast forward a few years, and it became one of my student day staples - either to cook up a vat of it and freeze in single portions - or to cook up a vat and feed a group of starving students for about £5 (I bought food, they brought beer - good deal!)

Though I don't cook it as much now, it is still one of my ultimate comfort foods - spicy, tasty and soft - easy to make and easy to eat! So I am throwing it over to Meeta's Monthly Mingle at the lovely What's for Lunch, Honey?.

I do like it pretty spicy, and add different types of heat to give a more interesting burn! Please feel free to adjust the chili and spice quantities to suit!

Apologies for the lack of pictures - the only one I have is from during the cooking time - I forgot to take more when serving up!

My Ultimate Chili Con Carne!


  • 500g lean beef mince
  • 4 chicken thighs - trimmed and small diced, should be about the same size as a kidney bean!
  • 2 medium onions, medium chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 beef oxo cube
  • 3 Thai red chilies, finely chopped - I leave the seeds in ;)
  • 1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
  • 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
  • Good shake of tabasco sauce
  • 2 400g tins of peeled plum tomatoes (I sometimes replace one of these tins with a carton of sieved tomatoes)
  • 1 large tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 400g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 200ml water
  • oil for frying
Begin by frying the onions in a little oil over a medium heat until starting to go soft, then add the garlic and Thai chilies. Fry for a further couple of minutes, then remove from pan and set to one side.

Turn up the heat, add a spot more oil to the pan and add the minced beef and diced chicken. Fry til browned.

Add the paprika, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, coriander, crushed oxo cube and fry for another minute. Put the onions back in and fry for yet another minute!

Add both tins of tomatoes, the tomato puree, tabasco, sugar, salt and water. Stir.

Leave this simmering away for a couple of hours, adding the kidney beans 10 minutes before the end of cooking. It will be ready enough to eat after about 45 minutes, but tastes even better with a long cook. It is also really good to make a day in advance, then let the flavours develop overnight!

I usually serve mine with plain steamed long grain rice, and toasted pita breads. also good with the usual suspects - baked potato, tortilla chips, potato wedges...

This time I actually served mine as a chili bake. The day after I cooked it, I heated it in a casserole dish, added about 500g rice and a pint of boiling water. I then covered it and cooked it in the oven at about 200°c for about 25 minutes. Make sure you check it frequently to ensure it doesn't dry out - and to adjust seasoning if required. Once it was ready, I smoothed the top of the bake and covered it with finely sliced tomatoes, scattered over a mix of slightly crushed tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and pecorino. Whacked it under the grill for 5 minutes til the top was bubbling and gorgeous then served... yum yum yum!

Related Posts



4 comments:

Meeta K said...

And I am catching this lovely looking chili! Perfect Comfort Food. thanks for joining!

Pete Lewis said...

Hi,
I love your dads ultimate Chilli. It worked out a treat. Kittens in the Kitchen is a great site, well done.
Pete

Laura Paterson said...

Hey Pete - glad you liked it! And thanks :)

Kamagra said...

this this without all the chicken things, and with a very hot chilli know as "habanero" or well you can use also the dangerous "Naga jolokia".