I started making these spicy meatballs to accompany my New Year noodle soup, but decided to put them up as a separate page as they can be included in way more dishes than just this soup. I made a monster batch of them, froze some, used some in the soup, baked and served with dipping sauce. And - one of my new favourites - using fine egg noodles, soy sauce and a beaten egg, created an noodle nest for each meatball - fried until golden and crispy. (I forgot to take pics of this one, but will put it up next time I make it!)
I've just realised I put the soup up before the meatballs and now everything's out of order - between that, forgetting to take pics or note my quantities, and losing my camera cable - this blogging thing isn't quite as easy as I thought ;)
- 2 cloves garlic - roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot (or 3 scallions) roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies (Add more or less to taste depending on how hot you like it, and how hot the chillies are!) - roughly chopped
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger - roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper - cut into large pieces
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tbsp dark/thick soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Small handful coriander (cilantro) - roughly chopped
- 1 tin crab meat (or replace with 150g fresh crab meat)
- 500g minced (ground) pork
- 1 egg - beaten
- Add the garlic, shallot, chillies, ginger, red pepper, zest and coriander into a food blender and blitz until all ingredients are very finely chopped.
- Remove from blender into mixing bowl.
- Add crab meat to mixture and combine.
- Put the pork, egg, soy and fish sauce and sesame oil into blender and blitz until pureed.
- Add this to the crab mixture and mix until well combined.
- Using damp hands, shape the mixture into small walnut-sized balls. I got about 32 from the quantities above.
- Put the balls in fridge for 30 minutes to chill (This is optional - but will help them stay together better!)
- Use as you like - but make sure they're cooked through!