Tuesday 13 May 2008

So Much More Than A Roast Beef Sandwich... The Ultimate Leftover Sandwich!!

I just looked at my recent posts and realised I've covered a lot of firsts this month so far...My first taste of frog legs, a birthday and me!, My first award - the Arte Y Pico!!!, and My First Roast Beef Dinner!

I'll see what else I can try for the first time - I seldom cook the same thing twice - but I don't even think that counts anymore!

I think this is the first time I have blogged a sandwich. But it was so much more than that -it was the best sandwich ever! The photograph doesn't do it justice (note to self, book into photography course) - but think of the sweetness of caramelised onions with the sharp heat from the mustard - and tender rare beef with a drizzle of rich, thick gravy....

Serendipitously, I got the notice about Anupama from Food n' More's Sandwich festival 2008 just after I had decided to blog this - it must be fate!


The Ultimate Leftover Beef Sandwich!!


  • left over rare roast beef - sliced as thinly as you possibly can
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp English mustard - it has to be English!!!
  • handful rocket
  • left over gravy - if you have any!
  • caramelised onions - I made a huge batch when I made this left over dinner!
  • 1 ciabatta loaf
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • a teensy sprinkle of maldon sea salt - skip this is you're watching your sodium intake - I just love how it develops the taste of the beef...

Assembling the sandwich...
Cut the loaf in half
Mix together the mayo and mustard and spread on the cut side of the bread.
Layer on a few layers of the wafer thin beef - as much as you think you can wrap your gums round!
Drizzle on some of the left over gravy
Put the rocket on top of that, and the caramelised onions atop the rocket.

Cook the sandwich...
I did mine in my George Foreman grill - but press the panino* however you can!





* Panino - singular of panini. I read a rant recently about people misusing the word panini. Apparently it is especially irritating when people say "Panini sandwich". As this essentially means little breads sandwich. Which doesn't make any sense. (pan = bread, ini = little (pl)). And to say paninis - well, let's not even go there.

I love grammar Nazis - especially foodie ones!

Related Posts



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

great sandwich! love the side of chips..man. i love chips. ;)

also, thanks for stopping by my blog. i do hope you participate in Beauty & the Feast if you can. it'll be fun :D

x

Peter M said...

Oh Kittie, I'm slayed by the caramelized onions...sandwich Queen, indeed!

Anupama said...

Dear Kittie, Thanks a lot for your entry. It's the first Beef Sandwich entry I have recieved till now. See you at the Round-up

Mike of Mike's Table said...

It sure looks like a delicious sandwich! Everything about it sounds really tasty...

Thistlemoon said...

It looks great Kittie! Wonderful use of leftovers, I must say! Anything with carmelized onions and mustard is good! :)

Just Cook It said...

That makes me want to roast some beef just to make the sandwich!

glamah16 said...

I wish I had that sandwhch for lunch today.

Maggie said...

That's a great looking sandwich. The onions really make it for me.