Monday 20 October 2008

Fancy Mushrooms with Oak Smoked Garlic

This is a fast, simple recipe, which proves that with good quality ingredients little fussing is required*.

I picked up a load of mushrooms on a recent trip to Borough Market. There were loads of types, and I don't know most but they included ceps, autumn chanterelles, horn of plenty and oysters. They cost a forearm and an ankle (really must sign up to that foraging course next year...) and were supposed to be served for breakfast the next day. But a late night and a hangover made a bacon and egg sarnie the only breakfast option!

Later that day, once the hangover abated, I managed to sort myself out enough to prepare this simple supper: mushrooms with oak smoked garlic, served on bulgar wheat with a dash of lemon and a tickle of thyme.

Fancy Mushrooms with Oak Smoked Garlic

Serves 2
  • Various mushrooms, cleaned
  • 1 clove smoked garlic, crushed
  • 1 cup bulgar wheat
  • Vegetable stock
  • Half a lemon
  • Half tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Place the bulgar wheat and thyme in a bowl and cover with vegetable stock. Cover bowl and leave for 10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, add a good squeeze of lemon juice, adjust seasoning and fluff again.

Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms. Fry gently for 5 minutes until cooked through, adding the garlic and any seasoning for the last couple of minutes of cooking.

Place the bulgar wheat in a bowl, and top with the mushrooms. A garnish of lemon and you're set to go...




* I like fussing. And I like lots of flavours! I'm saying is it isn't necessary.It's kind of like that new pair of toweringly high shoes. Not required... but very, very nice!

Related Posts



20 comments:

Ivy said...

I have never made bulgur wheat this way before. Shall try it. Needless to say that I love the mushrooms but never heard of smoked garlic before.

Peter M said...

"dash of lemon & a tickle of thyme"...luv it! lol

The bed of bulgur is a nice pairing for your shrooms, which I adore.

Now, c'mon...tell me how you smoked the garlic.

Laura Paterson said...

Ivy, it was the first time I'd tried it - delicious! The smoke smell was very strong on the bulb - but just lent a delicious hint of savoury smokiness to the mushrooms.

Peter... you caught me out! ;) The smoked garlic was another borough purchase!

Peter M said...

No probs, I'm up for the challenge of making my own...stay tuned and MEOW!

Anonymous said...

I am a great fan of bulgur, henxe my new post. I have never tried it this way but lemon-garlic-mushrooms are always a winner combination!

Dee said...

Now smoked garlic I can find! But those mushrooms, alas! Something with chicken next please :)

Now on to important matters - those shoes are to die for (literally if you don't watch your step).

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is my first time hearing about smoked garlic too...see.... we learn something new everyday:D

Núria said...

A fantastic dish Kittie! Hey I adore Ceps... didn't know they were called the same in english... or do they come all the way from Spain?

The title of the dish makes it so elegant ;D

Do you wear those shoes? I would fall down every two meters :D :D

Heather said...

Tis the season for mushrooms of all shapes and sizes! Great thing about temperate climates, we get so many types (and scads). This is really the ideal way to eat them, too.

Lo said...

:) OK, the heels look dangerous, but that mushroom dish looks fabulous!

I was curious about the garlic myself. Looks like something I might have to pursue (or maybe I'll just stalk Peter)!

Lisa Turner said...

I'm a huge mushrooms fan, so this is just my kind of dish. Just lovely Kittie!

Anonymous said...

I love mushrooms and bulghar but don't think I've tried them together, this looks great.

I like the sound of the smoked garlic too, will look out for some of that.

Laura Paterson said...

peter, I wait with bated breathe!

Hey FJ - your pork looks mouth-wateringly succulent, what a delicious recipe!

Dee, I have a chook on the stove as I type... can you get leeks??

Val - it's the wonder and curse of food-blogging - how will I ever get to try everything I read of!!!

Hey Nuria! We also call them porcini - though I usually save that for when they are dried for some reason! (And the shoes are on the wish list, not my feet unfortunately ;)

Heather - I'm gutted I missed foraging this year, your new profile pic makes me jealous!!

Hey Lo - I can't wait to see what Peter rustles up also!

Glad you like it Lisa!

Hey Ginger - it was in the Green Market I think!

Anonymous said...

Gloriously simple! I love fancy mushrooms and I loved smoked garlic! They actually sell smoked garlic in my local Sainsbury's!

Cakespy said...

...are you wearing those shoes while making it? I hope not! Those signature red soles are mighty sexy though! :-)

As a mushroom lover I can say this is pretty much heaven.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I've never heard of smoked garlic but I want some now.

I also want those shoes.

If you're going to forage, just make sure you ask permission if you decide to forage on my poor brother's oak trees. ;-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

They look delicious (and fab shoes). I am off to Borough on Friday and I am really hoping to get some good mushroom!

glamah16 said...

My favorite place! Wonder who introduced me to the place. Their mushroom selection was out of this world. I have never seen smoked garlic. Cool. I can eat up any dish with mushrooms.

Anonymous said...

Ah. I love a post about cooking whilst hungover. Nothing like mushrooms to fix everything. The smoked garlic sounds amazing.

Laura Paterson said...

Sainburies! I'll need to check them out next time I'm in - thanks Helen!

cakespy - last time I wore heels to cook, I accidentally headbutted the oven hood as I hadn't realised how tall I was!!

Hi shortie! Don't worry, I would never forage uninvited ;)

Hey foodycat - I hope you had a productive trip!!

Coco - isn't it just a foodie paradise! :D

Hi Katie - foodie surfing with a hangover is so dangerous - I often end up heading to the shop and buying tonnes of bacon, cheese, eggs etc!!!