Tuesday 28 October 2008

A bit more news... and Coconut Spiced Kangaroo Kebabs

More news!

I have booked my flights for my trip! I leave England on the 30th November, flying to Bangkok. I'm feeling so many mixed emotions right now that I don't know quite what to do with myself. Taking myself to the pub for a calming glass of red is an option!

Anyway, before I do - here is the first of my recipes from my recent international dinner party!

This is the first course I served in my recent 24, 24, 24 meal - an Australia dish for my friend Belinda! (Psst... I'm going there :P )

I had heard a number of times that kangaroo is notorious for being tough, and that it should never be cooked more than medium rare. It is a very lean meat - and so it is easy to dry it out. To help make it as tender as can be, I marinated in in a mixture of orange juice, coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger and garlic.

Coconut Spiced Kangaroo Kebabs

Feeds 6
  • 300g kangaroo fillet
  • 150ml coconut milk
  • 150ml fresh orange juice
  • 2 stalks lemongrass
  • 1" ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 thai red chili - seeds in
Blitz the lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chili to a fine paste - add a bit of OJ to thin it out if required.

Stir in the coconut milk and orange juice.

Dice the kangaroo fillets into 1" pieces, and add to marinade. Allow to soak for at least 3 hours - or overnight.

Thread the marinated meat onto soaked bamboo skewers.

Preheat a grill (or broiler) as hot as it can be. Grill the kebabs for 3/4 minutes on each side - do not overcook!

Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a scattering of fresh cilantro!

Related Posts



10 comments:

glamah16 said...

I have to send this link to my Aussie friend. Like your marinade!

Peter M said...

Wow, just a month away...each day will get longer & longer 'til you get to Asia.

Again, you're very adventurous trying out some 'roo but it looks great!

Adam said...

Congrats on your booking! I like how you're prepping up with the kangaroo... and that marinade totally rocks :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks delicious! Kangaroo is so tasty.

Laura Paterson said...

hey coco - I hope they like it, it may not be authentic, but it was tasty!

Peter - I know!!! Hopefully I'll get to try it in it's native country before long!

Cheers Adam - excited!!

Yay - someone else who likes the 'roo! Cheers foodycat!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I've never had kangaroo before, but I love your marinade.

Hope you're planning a kickass trip!

Maria said...

Wow, very interesting!! I bet you can't wait for your trip!

Jeanne said...

I've never tried kangaroo - but from the description it sounds a little like ostrich - easy to dry out! Love the marinade...

Laura Paterson said...

Hi sdc - thanks for the comment, so sorry to hear about your gran.

Thanks Maria, yes, I'm excited - but occasionally nervous too!

jeanne, I've never tried ostrich - it's on the list though!

Anonymous said...

kangaroo really!