Monday 1 September 2008

Pretending It's Summer... Fusilli with Macerated Tomatoes & Garlic

Phew!

It's just been so warm out there that I can't bear to put the oven on. I've been living on cold beer, salad and ice-cream. Even the thought of turning on the hob bring me out in a sweat.

Nah, not really...

Though we did have a pretty nice day on Saturday - sat out on the beach and didn't even have to put on our sweaters until 7pm! (Actually it was really nice - I even went for a swim!) But that's not the point. When I made this last week, we had barely had a glimmer of sun in weeks (ish...) So I thought I would attempt to bring some sunshine into our lives with this no-cook pasta sauce.

And it worked. It tasted like greenhouses, gardens and lazy bees*... the noise of lawnmowers over the way, and the bbq two doors down. And just so long as I turned up the central heating and put on my SAD light, I was almost able to persuade myself that it was summer after all...


Fusilli with Macerated Tomatoes & Garlic

Feeds 4...
  • 500g fusilli
  • 100g emmental, finely grated
  • 12 large tomatoes, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed (reduce this if you have a date later ;)
  • handful greek basil
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients, except the pasta together. Mix well and leave for a while - ideally about an hour!

Cook the pasta according to the packet. Add the tomato mix to the pasta and toss to mix well.

Taste and adjust seasoning if required.

Serve with a cold beer, in a bikini!




* no, not actually.


Another pasta dish for Presto Pasta Night! This week being hosted by Abby of Eat the Right Stuff!

Presto Pasta Nights

Related Posts



24 comments:

test it comm said...

That is a nice summery looking pasta!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I really can't believe the summer we've had. One nice day and then back to rain. This looks like a lovely simple sauce - just shame about the weather.

hungryandfrozen said...

That pasta looks delish - I love emmental cheese! Hopefully the good weather makes another appearance :)

sunita said...

Oh! The weather! But,that plate of pasta can easily bring back some of the sunshine

Adam said...

I was thinking summer was disappearing here, but nope it came right on back, so it's no stove here too :)

Serve with beer and a bikini? What if mines in the wash... wait, I mean...

Anonymous said...

Anything to bring a little bit of summer back again... ah, for the warmth of the sun on our skin as we dine on this simple dish... :)

Anonymous said...

Not sure we can get that cheese here, but I can think of a number of substitutions. Sounds great, and very easy! Your weather sounds about like ours this summer (VT).

Laura Paterson said...

Thanks Kevin!

Beth - I don't know how Cornwall's doing this morning - but Brighton is truly horrific... From Spring to Winter in one simple step... ;)

Thanks Laura - me too :)

It most definitely did Sunita... in fact, I might need to make more tonight ;)

Oh Adam - like you don't have a back up ;)

Hey Kenny - warmth from the sun is all it was missing...

Hi Rich, VT is Vermont right? Any swiss would work... but I think next time I make this I'm going to use goats cheese...!

Cris said...

Hum, that's interesting and my son was asking the other for a non-cooked sauce! Thanks for sharing! Oh, can you find red rice there?

Jeff said...

You should market the beer, salad, ice cream diet.

Another good use for my overabundance of tomatoes! You are the coolest and this looks like an awesome pasta to be serving for a cookout in a couple of weeks.

Lore said...

This fresh no-cook sauce will surely bring sunshine! But wait I might not be able to stop at 100 g of emmental :D

Dee said...

The pasta looks perfect, Kittie. Although you had me at the cold beer and ice-cream. Notice how I conveniently ignored the salad? Lol.

So who might you be serving beer to, wearing a bikini? ;)

SteamyKitchen said...

after all that Asian cooking in my kitchen, this looks PERFECT. I need pasta....

Apples and Butter said...

You have me cracking up. I was wishing for a SAD light when I lived in London for six months. This girl needs sunshine to survive. Thanks for the recipe and it will be a great one to try over here as it truly is too hot to turn the oven on (like that ever really stops me).

Katerina said...

Yum! I have been pretending it is summer here too.

Leslie said...

MMMMM..so fresh..I love any light pasta dishes!!!Thanks for your visit to my site! Stop back by anytime!

Laura Paterson said...

Hi Cris! I think I can get it from my local international groceries store - I'm going to check tonight!

jeff -aka Kittie's Summer Diet! So much better than South Beach ;)

lore - ah go on Lore - whack on the cheese! I'm doing it with goats cheese next time!

dee - don't worry - my salad's are seldom healthy! And mind your own business :P

Thanks Jaden - hardly even any cooking required! I love all your Asian dishes!!

A&B - I actually do have one! it's the only way I can get out of bed in mid-winter!!

Thanks for dropping by Leslie - reading all those comments on your last post was a giggle!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is a family favourite in our home Kittie:D

Anonymous said...

i love summery dishes like this - tis a shame the british weather has been so unobliging this year! thanks for sharing with ppn.

Laura Paterson said...

Hey val - it was my first time trying it - but I think it may well become one here too!!

Thanks Abby!

Ruth Daniels said...

I love your writing style and the pasta is perfect...thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Now I'm off to buy even more delicious tomatoes.

Laura Paterson said...

Thanks Ruth! I feel very British talking about the weather all the time! ;) Enjoy your tomatoes!!

A.C. said...

delicious! i love fresh tomatoes and warm pasta.

Anonymous said...

I loved the title of "macerated" tomatoes...makes the dish sound all the better! I need to try fusilli too, looks like a pasta shape I would love!