Thursday 25 September 2008

Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Goo!

I've got a bit of a story behind these cupcakes!

I had some friends round to dinner a few weeks ago and had made some of my 'special' chocolate sauce to go with caramelised bananas and ice cream. However, due to various reasons... (including plastic meltage, and my utter inability to find decent ice cream anywhere!) we decided to go with banoffee pie instead... leaving me with a glut of gooey chocolatey lushness tempting me from the fridge.

My special chocolate sauce is incredibly simple, and sounds a little horrific... but I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't like it. It's perfect for a quick dessert on top of ice cream. Or dip pears in it to pretend you're healthy... ;)

So, the following day I had some bananas going just past ripe and a pot of chocolate goo. Inspired by Dee's banana loaf, I decided to knock together some cupcakes before I went to the pub to meet some friends. And being the good friend that I am, it would have been churlish not to take along a few for them to sample. (Note, banana and chocolate don't go too well with beer ;) So eat 'em first, drink later!)

Anyway, beer drinking tips aside, we were happily sat at the pub and onto our second pint when I remembered about my cupcakes. I handed them out... we had one each... when a guy across the table asked for a taste! As I was feeling slightly sick from all the requisite tasting (see below) I was quite happy to give up mine. Just as well really, as it turns out he has just taken over a nearby cafe and was looking for someone to help out with some real home cooking!

So for the last couple of weeks I've been baking up a storm - and have a whole load of stuff to show you. It's been fun - but I can't tell you how tough it is to bake up a whole gooey chocolate cake, then give it away with barely a taste... Well, except from the bowl, of course! ;)

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes

Makes 12 cupcakes!
  • 3 ripe bananas - this is not the place for green or hard nanas!
  • 1 cup plain white flour
  • 0.5 cups wholewheat flour
  • 0.5 cup soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 6 tbsp groundnut oil
  • 6 tbsp yogurt
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
Preheat oven to 165c.

Prepare the Batter...
Sift together the flours, baking powder and baking soda, then mix in the salt.

Whisk together the oil and sugar, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Smoosh up the bananas with a fork and add to the egg mixture along with the vanilla extract.

Add a third of the flour mix, then a third of the yogurt and mix until just moistened. Repeat until flour and yogurt finished!

Line muffin tray with cases, and divide the mixture between them.

Bake!
Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of one.


For the 'frosting'...
  • 1 tin condensed milk
  • 150g plain chocolate
  • 1 tbsp butter
Put the condensed milk into a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Gently bring to the boil and cook gently for 5 minutes.

Taste a wee bit of the condensed milk to make sure it's ok. Is it? Best check again, just to be sure...

Break up the chocolate and add to the milk. Melt it up until you have a gorgeous gooey chocolatey mess.

Probably should taste it again - make sure it's chocolatey and gooey enough. It is? Sure?? Go on, check again...

Add the butter and stir gently until combined. Have another couple of taste tests. Maybe dip in a strawberry or marshmallow... if you happen to have any lying around...

Let it cool a bit, then smear on top of cooled cupcakes.

There should be some left to have with ice cream. Or straight from the bowl - it's your call ;)



I'm sending these cupcakes to three events - two of them new ones to me:
Ben's I Love Baking event, and Fanny's Sugar High Friday!

The third is Lore at Culinarty's Original Recipe event!

I Love BakingCulinarty Original Recipe RoundupSugar High Friday

Related Posts



25 comments:

ley said...

Whaaat? Your baking for a cafe?? FUN! :D I wanna bake for a cafe! Jeez. lol.

I LOVE chocolate and banana together! These look fantastic!

ley said...

*"you're," not "your." Sorry.

Dee said...

Evil frosting. Love it!
I'm not sure what it is with banana cakes but I can't get enough of them. I just made another batch half an hour ago - cupcakes this time. Snap ;) I threw in soft toffees and pecans. Need a frosting *grin* and I love condensed milk *bigger grin*

Congrats on the cafe venture - what fun!

Anonymous said...

Darlin, we have the same Ikea tea towels...It must be fate!

Sam said...

Wow you're baking for a cafe, that is so cool!
Bananas and chocolate is a great combo!

Peter M said...

Kittie, "let the cat out of the bag" eh?

I'm so proud that you've been give n this opporunity and that you're having a blast.

I must make and try Kitties cupcakes.

CECIL said...

Awesome!! Congrats! I will have to try this cupcakes - somehow someway, there is always some overripe banana in my kitchen. Just reading the entry..mh..my mouth is watering.

Laura Paterson said...

Hey ley! Chocolate and banana are the best - me and my sister used to half bananas, spread them with nutella, then wrap them in foil before grilling them... nom nom nom

Dee - banana, toffee and pecan? Oh pleeeeeease send me one!! :D

foodjunkie - only if yours are burnt at all the corners because you use them to lift things off the stove ;)

Thanks Sam! And I see you're a featured publisher in the foodbuzz newletter - cool!!

Thanks Peter - it would be cruel to keep a kittie in a bag ;)

Hey Cecil - this was the first time I'd made banana cupcakes - but I don't think I'll ever throw out overripe bananas again!!

Adam said...

Thanks for the cupcake and beer tip... you're a life saver :)

The frosting you have there looks simply awesome. It adds a nice touch of chocolatey gooness alright :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

You've gone pro! Can't compete in the Olympics now... Well done!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

These look so good. I love how you call the topping "chocolate goo" (If it quacks like a duck...) I admit to being a tad envious. I made some SHF cupcakes, but didn't like the way they came out and decided not to submit.

Anonymous said...

Horrific? I think it sounds downright delicious!

Ivy said...

Kittie, I love your cupcakes. They look great. Inspired by another blogger friend I made a banana loaf and then some banana, chocolate muffins. Next time I make them I'll make your frosting.

Jeanne said...

Mmmmm, that chocolate frosting looks fab. I made some banana health muffins a while back, but they tasted too healthy (if you know what I mean) and not a patch on my mom's banana muffin recipe, now sadly lost:( Might give yours a try instead!

Michele said...

Baking for a cafe sounds like a grand adventure! Your banana cupcakes are so different from the ones I normally make. I'm going to have to give them a go. And thanks for telling us about the new events that you are entering. I'm off to check them out now.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those Cupcakes look fabulous! A delicious treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Why does chocolate goo sound soooo good? The cupcakes look delicious!

Mallory Elise said...

Chocolate Goo! :)

Anonymous said...

I love love love the evil, gorgeous, gooey messy chocolate =D

Núria said...

Congratulations darling!!!! That's great news :D
Ai, you are too cruel posting that picture.... drooling over the table...
I'm getting quite decided and this week I should start my baking adventure. I will keep your recipe near :D

Usha said...

These cupcakes look wonderful :)

Sarah said...

I'm not a baker, but I might need to make these... mmmmm...

Laura Paterson said...

Always happy to help Adam!

Thanks Foodycat... mmmmm, foodie olympics... can you just imagine?? :D

Hey Rachel! The goo was more of a warning ;) - they were somewhat messy to eat - but very tasty ;)

Ah - a man after my own tastes Mike!

Oh, if you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Ivy!

Hey Jeanne! I think the chocolate goo will remove any doubts of potential health benefits ;)

Thank Michele!

Hi Rosa - thanks for stopping by!

Hi Clumbsy! It's messy and chocolaty... what's not to like!!

Says it all really, mallory!

Oooo - my kind of noobcook!

Good luck with the baking Nuria I'll be watching for your recipes :)

Thank you Usha :)

Sarah - I'm pretty new to the baking thing too - but it is good for making totally unhealthy snacks :D

Karen said...

Banana cupcakes with chocolate goo... mmmm!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Congrats on the cafe gig! The chocolate goo title gave me a smirk, and the photo just has me drooling. This sounds like a really delicious cupcake